Stanford got its name after Benjamin Logan, who along with other early settlers, repeatedly and successfully fought off Indian attacks. Logan’s Fort, which was located near the existing Stanford downtown district, was the final jewel of the “triple crown” of forts in Kentucky. Cumberland Trace which goes to Nashville and turns into the Natchez Trace, began at Logan’s Fort. Court was held within the walls of the fort from 1781 to 1783, the original beginnings of many Kentucky counties south of the Kentucky River. The settlement, which evolved into the present day town of Stanford is the second oldest permanent settlement in the state. Historic downtown Stanford is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
The Wilderness Trail, originally called the “Great Road,” passes through Lincoln County. The trail, which was the gateway to the west, runs along St. Asaph’s Creek of present-day Stanford.